Ayurveda Courses, Ayurveda Colleges and Ayurveda University
GUJARAT AYURVED UNIVERSITY:
Gujarat Ayurved University is the first statutory university of its kind, both at national and international level, exclusively devoted to Ayurveda studies and research. It is located in Jamnagar, Gujarat, India. Gujarat Ayurved University was founded as part of the reorganization of Ayurveda, after India gained independence from Britain in 1948. Gujarat Ayurveda University was established in 1966 by an act passed by Gujarat State legislative Assembly in 1965. This University is administratively linked to Ministry of Health and Family Welfare both at State and Center-indicating its special status. Gujarat Ayurved University is an academic and institution of higher learning. This university is an autonomous organization fully financed by Government of Gujarat State. University looks after the management of the Institutes and Colleges situated in the campus along with conducting the examination of all the degree/diplomas awarded by the University.
This University has three wings.
1) The Administrative wing and the Centers working directly under University.
2) Constituent Institutes and Colleges working in the campus.
3) Affiliated Colleges of Ayurveda whose examinations are conducted by the University.
AYURVEDA COURSES AND COLLEGES:
According to Authentic Ayurvedic Texts, Lord Brahma (creator of the universe) propounded this science by name ‘Ayurveda’, a branch of Atharvaveda (A textbook of Vedic civilization) simultaneously creating with living beings and composed it in One Hundred Thousand verses, divided into One Thousand chapters, later noticing that people having short life span and poor intelligence day by day, he divided the Ayurveda into Eight Major Specialties such as…
1) Shalya- tantra (General Surgery)
2) Shalakya- tantra (Diseases of Head & Neck i.e Ophthalmology, Otorhino laryngology, Dentistry)
3) Kay chikitsa (Internal Medicine)
4) Bhut vidhya (Psychiatry)
5) Kaumarbhritya (Paediatrics)
6) Agad- tantra (Toxicology)
7) Rasayan- tantra (Vigor & Vitality)
8) Vajikaran- tantra (Science of Aphrodisiac)
Nowadays, Gujarat Ayurved University is running post-graduate courses in 14 streams with further division of above 8 specialties. Full-time Ayurveda courses run by the university in various streams of Ayurveda has given below.
1) M. S. (Shalya- tantra) Master of Surgery (General Surgery)
2) M. S. (Shalakya- tantra)Master of Surgery (Diseases of Head & Neck)
3) M. S. ( Stri- prasuti) Master of Surgery (Gynaecology)
4) M. D. (Bal- rog) Doctor of Medicine (Paediatrics)
5) M. D. (Kay chikitsa) Doctor of Medicine (Internal Medicine)
6) M. D. (Rog & Vikriti Vigyan) Doctor of Medicine (Pathology)
7) M. D. (Manas- rog) Doctor of Medicine (Psychology)
8) M.D. (Panchkarma) Doctor of Medicine (Special Treatment Procedures for Body Purification & Rejuvenation)
9) M. D. (Dravya- guna) Doctor of Medicine (Pharmacology)
10) M. D. (Ras- shastra) Doctor of Medicine (Pharmaceutical Science)
11) M. D. (Bhaishja- kalpana) Doctor of Medicine (Pharmacy)
12) M. D. (Agad- tantra) Doctor of Medicine (Toxicology)
13) M. D. (Samhita) Doctor of Medicine (Original Ayurveda Scripts)
14) M. D. (Sidhdhanta) Doctor of Medicine (Basic Principles)
Other available courses at university colleges are…
1) B.A.M.S. (Bachelor of Ayurved Medicine & Surgery),
2) Ph.D. (Ayurveda),
3) Introductory Course in Ayurveda,
4) Diploma in Pharmacy (Ayurveda),
5) Bachelor of Pharmacy (Ayurveda),
6) Master of Pharmacy (Ayurveda),
7) M.Sc. in Medicinal Plants,
8) Ph.D. in Medicinal Plants,
9) Certificate Course in Yoga and Naturopathy,
10) B.Sc. (Yoga) ,
11) P.G. Diploma (Yoga and Naturopathy)
12) Nursing in Ayurveda
13) Ayurveda Panchkarma Technician Course
Colleges listed below have been affiliated by Gujarat Ayurved University, Jamnagar. Each and Every College is attached with full flagged Ayurveda Hospital having IPD (Indoor Patients Department)and OPD (Outdoor Patients Department) facilities. Most of the colleges are situated in the heart of the major cities of Gujarat State.
At present following Institutes and Centers are working in the Campus of Gujarat Ayurveda University, Jamnagar as constituent Institutes.
1) Institute for Post Graduate Teaching & Research In Ayurved
2) Shri Gulabkunwarba Ayurveda College, Jamnagar
3) Institute for Ayurvedic Pharmaceutical Sciences
4) Maharishi Patanjali Institute for Yoga & Naturopathy Education and Research
For promote the teaching and learning Ayurveda in foreign countries International Center for Ayurvedic Studies was established in Gujarat Ayurved University Campus.
All other Ayurveda Colleges of the state are the affiliated colleges of Gujarat Ayurveda University. They are as follows…
1) Government Akhandanand Ayurveda College, Ahmedabad
2) Government Ayurveda College, Vadodara
3) Sheth J. P. Ayurveda College, Bhavnagar
4) Government Ayurveda College, Junagadh
5) Shri O. H. Nazar Ayurveda College, Surat
6) Shri J. S. Ayurveda College, Nadiad (Self Finance)
7) Govindbhai Jorabhai Patel Ayurved College, Vallabh-vidyanagar (Self Finance)
8) Parul Institute of Ayurveda, Limda, Vadodara (Self Finance)