Ayurvedic treatment for Flu/ Influenza
Ayurvedic treatment for Flu/ Influenza:
Vata-Kaphaj Jwara (Ayurvedic terminology), Flu, Influenza
Definition & Introduction:
The disease Influenza or Flu is clinically co-relates with the disease Vata-kaphaj type of Jwara (Fever) in Ayurvedic classics. It is observed that this disease occurs in endemic, epidemic and pan-endemic form. In 1957, the epidemic of this disease has affected many countries of the world. This is cause by virus.
The incubation period is 3 to 5 days and the disease usually starts with cough, cold and fever. It is Vata-kaphaj type of Jwara(Fever) and is usually associated with symptoms like moderate fever, running nose, cough with expectoration, and head-ache. Patient is suffering from severe body ache with weakness. The temperature rises up to 102 to 103 degree F and remains there for few days. Fever comes to normal on the 5th to 7th day. Gastro-intestinal tract also gets affected and producing weak digestion, pain in abdomen or vomiting. If the lungs are affected there may symptoms like pneumonia, dyspnoea, blood in the sputum and asthma. Rarely the central nervous system gets affected producing symptoms like neuralgia, syncope and sometimes paralysis.
Ayurvedic treatment for Flu/ Influenza:
1) Advice the patient for complete bed rest up to 3-4 days.
2) Advice the patient for fasting up to earlier 48 to 72 hours (2-3 days). Whenever he feels hungry do start with moong-dal soup or boiled rice with plenty of water.
3) Advice the patient to take boiled water with the Ayurvedic herbs of Sunthi (Dry ginger), Dhanyak (Coriander seeds), Mustak (Root of Cyprus rotundus) along with Ushira(Khus grass) for a week. (One teaspoon of each herbs mixed with around two litres of water and make the mixture boiled and then filter the medicated water and use it whenever it become enough cool to drink. Take this medicated water on every hour in little quantity for whole day.
4) Dry black grapes is belongs to anti-pyretic (anti-fever) drug group and it is also known as good source of glucose and sucrose, which helps to maintain the energy level during the entire treatment. So one should frequently use dry black grapes during fever condition.
5) Advice the patient, for having tea mixed with dry ginger powder and Tulasi(Ocimum Sanctum) leaves.
6) Patient should not take any type of diet excepting Tea, Rice (harvested in 60 days), Rice flakes, Popcorn, Popped Jowar, Moong beans, Khichadi (Indian Snack made from Moong Dal and Rice), Moong Dal, Dry black grapes, Pomegranate, Coconut water and Luke warm water during first 4-5 days.
7) Use the Vicks Inhaler and do rub Vicks Vapo-rub on the chest and around both nostrils frequently.
8) Do fomentation on the face by water vaporizer.
The line of treatment of any type of fever in Ayurveda:
In case of a fever, the line of management is,
ज्वरादौ लङ्घनं कुर्यात, ज्वरमध्ये तु पाचनं, ज्वरान्ते औषधं दध्यात, ज्वर मुक्ते तु रेचनं।
Means, one who suffer from attack of any type of fever, has to follow the principle management in stepping. According to the line of treatment, the patient having fever should keep his self on‘fasting’ (langhan) up to first 48-72 hours, from the fever arise. After 2-3 days, when patient feels hunger, gradually he should start the ‘Pachan Aushadhis’ (medicines which enhancing digestion and metabolism) during 4-5 days. After 5 days usually the fever starts to fall down. So at the end, the patient has to take Ayurvedic medicines which destroyed the fever from its root. When the patient regain his health and feels free from fever, he should have ‘Ayurvedic purgative medicines’ (virechana aushadhis) suitable to his body constitution to flow away the accumulation of excessive ‘Pitta’ from his body. One who suffered from fever and follows the above line of treatment, he will not having attack of fever again and he can retain his health for long time.
Some famous Ayurvedic formulations for Influenza or Flu:
1) Vati (Tablets): Kalingadi vati, Tribhuvankirti ras vati, Triphala vati, Samsamani vati, Shatyadi vati, Lakshmi vilas ras vati, Vyoshadi vati
2) Kwath (Decoctions): Shadang-paniya kwath, Nagaradi kwath, Dhanyakadi kwath, Dashmoola kwath, Trikatu kwath
3) Churna (Powders): Trikatu churna, Baal-chaturbhadra churna, Talisadi churna
4) Medicated Wine: Amrutarishta, Dashmoola-jirakarishta, Kanakasav, Draksharishta, Drakshasav