It is a condition of being overweight.
Excessive amount of fat accumulated in the body, called obesity.
4. Adiposity, etc.
BMI (Body Mass Index):
BMI = weight/height ( Meter *Meter)
Ideal BMI is within 18.5 to 25.
If it is 30 or above, it is defined obesity.
Higher the BMI; Greater the risk of,
· Cardiovascular Diseases
· Musculoskeletal Disorders like osteo-arthritis.
· Some CA (Endometrial CA, Breast CA, Colon CA, etc.)
Causes of Obesity:
- Heavy, sweet, cold, oily food eating,
- Lake of exercise,
- Avoiding Sexual life,
- Sleep during the day,
- Sedentary lifestyle,
- Free from any type of tension,
- Congenital or Heredity.
Signs of Obesity:
Owing to an excessive increase of fat and muscle tissue, the buttock, abdomen and breast become pendulous and his strength is rendered disproportionate with his physical growth.
Symptoms of Obesity:
1. OHS (Obesity Hypoventilation Syndrome):-
There is a condition called “OHS”, occurs in obese people, in which poor breathing leads to lower oxygen levels and higher CO2 levels in the blood.
Cause – Exact cause unknown: but patient comes with sleep apnea.
Symptoms – Excessive daytime sleepiness, fall asleep during the day, increased risk for accidents or mistakes at work, depression.
Investigations – Sleep study, Lung Function, Arterial Blood Gas.
2. Sexual Dysfunction
5. Excessive sweating
7. Bluish color in the lips, fingers, toes or skin (cyanosis).
8. Rt. Heart failure
9. Swollen legs or feet
10. Feeling tired after little effort.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Obesity:
HOME REMEDIES FOR WEIGHT LOSS:
- Honey is an excellent home remedy for obesity.
- Make a mixture of two teaspoon of lime juice, one teaspoon of honey, in a glass of water, add some pepper to it & have it regularly.
- Instead of eating only 2 more meals during the day like lunch & dinner, try to eat 4-5 more small mini-meals spaced 2-3 hours apart during the day
- Drink a glass of boiled water daily after every meal. It will also help you in obesity care naturally.
- Spices like ginger, cinnamon, black pepper etc. are good for losing weight. Drink ginger tea 2-3 times a day. It is also a good remedy for obesity.
- Increase the quantity of fruits and vegetables and low calorie foods.
- Avoid intake of too much salt as it may be a factor for increasing body weight.
- Take boiled green salad in the breakfast. Make it a habit.
- Among cereals barley is good.
- All kinds of milk products-cheese, butter, and non-vegetarian foods should be avoided as they are rich in fat.
- Avoid basmati rice and potato, which contain a lot of carbohydrates.
- Avoid high calorie foods like chocolates, ice cream, sweets, butter, heavy refined foods which have high calories.
- Raw or cooked cabbage inhibits the conversion of sugar and other carbohydrates into fat. Hence, it is of great value in weight reduction.
- Include a source of vitamin B 12 in your diet.
- Exercise is an important part of any weight reduction plan. It will burn all your calories.
HERBAL MEDICINES FOR WEIGHT LOSS:
The use of herbs is a time-honored approach to strengthening the body and treating disease. The following have been used traditionally to treat obesity.
Guggul (Commiphora mukul): The gum of Commiphora Mukul called ‘guggulu’ is the drug of choice for the treatment of obesity. It lowers down cholesterol, removes deposited fat quickly. It helps to regulate the lipid metabolism. Its benefits as a weight-loss and fat burning agent have been well researched and documented in several studies.
Triphala (Mixture of Terminalia chebula, Emblica officinalis, Terminalia bellarica): Effective Laxative which takes away fats from body & reduces weight. It is said to promote normal appetite, good digestion, increase red blood cells and hemoglobin. It has strong purifying and antioxidant qualities as well as reducing the overall water content in the body tissues.
Massage by dry powders (known as ‘Udavartana’).
Panchkarma therapy especially medicated enema made of sharp, unctuous and hot properties.
Ayurvedic formulations used to reduce overweight:
- Triphala kwath
- Mustadi kwath
- Vyoshadh saktu
- Medohar vidangadi loha
- Triphala guggulu
- Harde tablet
- Shilajit Capsule
- Liposuction, and
- Tummy Tucks
SOME TIPS TO REDUCE ‘WEIGHT’
- Use cow’s ghee (clarified butter made of cow’s milk) instead of butter or stick margarine and even vegetable oils.
- Prefer eating steam, boiled, microwave vegetables.
- Drink 8-10 glasses of hot water daily to avoid fluid retention.
- Choose an activity to burn your calories.
- Do some regular exercise, at least walking, jogging or swimming.
- Eat less salty foods, alcohol, dairy products, sugar, and margarine.
- Replace whole milk with skim or low fat milk for your preparation.
- Whenever you feel hungry, do some activity. Go for a walk.
- Roast, bake or boil meat, fish, to destroy all the fat present.