Hazards of Mobile Phones and Prevention Tips
September 22, 2012 | Prevention is "Better" | No Comments|
- As we know the increasing use of mobile phones. We make cell phone call on road, at office, at home, during lunch and even at bathroom also. That means we use it from beginning of the day to the end of the activities, but we don’t know the risks associated with it and without noticing it, cell phone have become part of our daily lifestyle.
- Though there is no evidence of cell phones causing cancer or any such illness, but suspicion, or fear of the same is not baseless either.
- The electromagnetic radiation from cell phone does have a potential link to cancer. The fact that this radiation is invisible, intangible, and enters and leaves in our bodies without our knowledge makes it even more intimidating.
- Two minutes of exposure to emission from mobile phones can disable a safety barrier in blood causing proteins and toxins to leak into the brain, could increase chances of developing Alzheimer’s, multiple sclerosis and Parkinson’s.
- Scientist say exposure to the cell phones’ low level radiation causes red blood cells to leak haemoglobin and can lead to heart disease and kidney stones.
- Recent studies suggesting a link between cell phone use and brain tumours.
- Studies suggest the possibility that the microwaves could ignite petroleum fumes at gas stations. To reduce the risk of fire or blast, people are advised to switch off their mobile while entering in the petrol filling station.
- People are advised to switch off their mobile while entering in the ICU/ ICCU because it disturbs the electromagnetic rays of the equipments which finally gives the false result.
- Mobile interrupts the radio frequency in the aeroplane so passengers are advised to switch off the mobile at the time of air journey.
- Computer screen & T. V. screen are also disturbed by the mobile rings that are our common experience.
Possible Hazards for Cell Phone Users:
- Brain Tumour
- Early deafness
- Neck & Shoulder pain
- Ear pain
- Disturbance in amniotic fluid
- Learning Disability
- Early Maturity
- Sterility/ Infertility
- Sleep disturbance
- High per activity
- Disturbance in DNA
- Memory disturbances
- Disturbance in concentration
Specific Health concern:
No studies have shown concrete effect on the growing foetus, but survival rates of the newborn baby are decreased five times with exposure to radiation.
Mobile phones and children:
Because of their smaller heads, thinner skull and higher tissue conductivity, children may absorb more energy from a given phone than adults.
WHO (World Health Organization) Guideline for Mobile Phone Users:
- Mobile phone user should limit their exposure to harmful radio frequency by cutting the length of the cell.
- Hand free devices cut exposure by keeping the instrument away from head and body.
- Driving cum mobile phone talking should be banned.
- Mobile phone should not be used in ICU (Intensive Care Unit) of hospital as they can pose a danger to patient by interfering with working of the pacemakers and defibrillators.
- People with hearing aid should not use mobile phone.
- Base station, which has low powered antennae on their terrace to communicate with cell phones, should not be located near children’s schools and play ground.
- Globalisation is the new Mantra. In this age, it is very difficult not to have technology. But with technology, come certain hazards. The only way to beat these again, again better technology.
Prevention Tips for Mobile Phone Users:
- Cell phones should be used for emergencies, and not for long conversations.
- Better use landline.
- Do conversations through SMS only.
- Do not keep mobile near your pets.
- Do not make your talk lengthy.
- Using a mobile head set is a good idea. You don’t have to hold phone nest to your ear all the time.
- Keep the mobile away from your body. Keep it on the table while working in the office, or keep it in your travelling bag while you travel.
- Do not keep mobile near your pillow or bed while go to sleep.
- Use high signal quality mobile instruments.
- Do not play with your mobile in lazar time.
- Do not use mobile which has metal body.
- Do not use mobile in close cabin, car, bus, train because it increase the intensity.
- Person who has any chronic disease should not use mobile
- Avoid passive radiation.
- Do not keep mobile in the pocket of the pent which may lead infertility.
- Use radiation protection devices.
- Use low S.A.R. (Specific Absorption Rate) which is accepted by British National Radiological Council.
- A small chip like cell phone microwave radiation protection device is available, which has the ability to absorb electromagnetic energy waves from your mobile phone. It helps in reducing the potential harmful effects of these emissions to the human body.
- Make Kinesiology test to know the adverse effects of the mobile.