Tips for Improving Immunity (Resistance Power) through Ayurveda:
Immunity, Prevention of disease, Prevention against diseases, Body strength,Resistance power of body, Vyadhikshamatva (Ayurvedic Terminology)
Definition of Immunity (According to Ayurveda):
व्याधिसहानीति व्याध्युत्पादक प्रतिबन्धकानि | (Charak Samhita Su. Ch. 28/ Verse 7- Chakrapaani Comm.)
‘Vyadhisaha’ means one who is capable of resisting diseases.
The following persons are unable to resist diseases due to their body build and strength.
- Over obese individual
- Over emaciated person
- Person having cachexia whose blood and muscular tissues loss markedly
- Debilitated person
- One who consumes unwholesome food regularly
- Person having malnutrition
- One whose mental faculties are weak
न हि सर्वाणि अपथ्यानि तुल्यदोषाणि, न च सर्वे दोषा: तुल्येभ बला: न च सर्वाणि शरीराणि व्याधिक्षमत्वे समर्थानि भवन्ति | (Charak Samhita Sutra Sthana Chapter 28/ Verse 7))
As per Charaka (School of Ayurvedic Medicine) said, during certain conditions, or due to certain factors, even unwholesome food does not produce diseases immediately. All unwholesome food articles are not equally harmful, all vitiated doshas- body humors (Vata, Pitta and Kapha) are not equally powerful same as all person are not capable of resisting diseases.
Classification of Immunity (According to Ayurveda):
व्याधिक्षमत्वं व्याधिबलविरोधित्वं व्याध्युत्वाद प्रतिबंधकत्वमिति यावत् | (Ch. S.Su. Ch. 28/ 7- Chakrapaani Commentary)
According to Ayurveda, Immunity against diseases is of two types. i.e. the one which attenuate the manifested disease and other variety prevents the manifestation of diseases.
त्रिविधं बलमिति- सहजं, कालजं, युक्तिकृतं च | (Ch. S. Su. Ch. 11/36)
Again, Resistance power of body is of three types as below.
- ‘सहजं’ (Sahaj)- Body constitutional strength:
It is an inherent characteristic property of an individual present since birth. It is because of equilibrium state of Doshas (Body humors- Vata, Pitta and Kapha)
- ‘कालजं’ (Kalaj)- Impact of Seasonal change on Body strength :
Seasonal strength is dependent on seasons and age. Loss of body strength is observed during ‘Adana kala’ (Northward movement of sun- Jan. to June). Strength is increasing during ‘Visarga kala’ (Southward movement of sun- July to December). Middle age is considered as full of body strength.
- ‘युक्तिकृतं’ (Yuktikruta)- Acquired strength of body:
Acquired strength is dependent on healthy practises related to diet, activities etc.
Tips for improve immunity (resistance power) or the acquired body strength through Ayurveda:
आहाराचार चेष्टासु सुखार्थी प्रेत्य चेह च | परं प्रयत्नमातिष्ठेत् बुध्धिमान् हितसेवन् || (Ch. Su. 7/ 60)
Means, Person who is desirous of ‘complete health’ (physical health, mental health and spiritual health) should adopt the healthy practices related to diet, conduct and activities mentioned in authentic Ayurvedic texts.
Kids, children, adults, pregnant women and even old people enhance their immunity (resistance power) by following healthy practises mentioned in Ayurveda as per below.
- ‘Ahara’ (Healthy food), ‘Nidra’ (Sound sleep) and ‘Brahmacharya’ (One who is having control over his senses and full of spiritual bliss) are the three pillars of healthy life. By the perfect balance of above these, body will be endowed with strength, complexion and growth and live longer.
- Consumption of proper amount of food certainly helps the individual in bringing strength, complexion, happiness and longevity.
- Regular Ayurvedic oil massages (by Mahanarayan Oil, Kumkumadi Oil, Dabur Red Baby Massage Oil etc.) leads to strong body physique.
- Practice of yoga and regular exercise is the best among strength promoters.
- Strength, health, longevity and breath are dependent on the proper digestion, metabolism and assimilation of food, so people have to try constantly for improving his digestive power by any means.
- Regular consumption of food having all tastes promotes strength.
- Regular use of Cow Milk and Ghee (Clarified butter) boost up immunity in kids and children.
- Food having Sweet and sour in taste enhances strength.
- For non-vegetarian people Meat of cock is strength promoter.
- Consumption of collected rain water in a clean vessel mitigates Tri-doshas(Vata, Pitta and Kapha), promotes strength, having rejuvenation effect and best for intelligence.
- Consumption of Gooseberry fruit (Embelica officinalis) has body rejuvenation power.
- Person who is consuming wholesome diet regularly, who is not suppressing natural urges, who is always says truth, who is having control over his senses and full of spiritual bliss, who is devoted to ‘Aapta-purush’(Spiritual scientist), who is having helping nature and give forgiveness to all , will never get any disease.
- Person who is possessing excellent intellect, whose acts and speech are leading to ultimate bliss, who is having independent thinking, who has clarity of understanding, who is full of knowledge, who is practising yoga and spiritual activities does not fall victim of diseases.
- Person should not indulge in activities which are beyond his own capacity.
- One should not use Contradictory food articles. e.g. milk should not consume with green vegetables, onion, fruits having sour in taste and with salty food articles because these above combinations are contradictory due to their properties. If these are eating together, it will produce autotoxins in the body.
- Children, pregnant women, youngsters and even old people have to follow the ‘Ayurvedic lifestyle’ (including diet plan, daily routine, seasonal regimen and principles for having best nutrition from your diet) given on the home page of this website for enhancing their resistance power thoroughly.
- Desert land is healthy land.
- Non violence is the best among the promoters of longevity of living beings.
- ‘Virya’ (Semen) is the best among promoters of strength.
- Knowledge is the best among promoters of nourishment.
- Self control is the best for the promotion of delightfulness.
- Self realisation is the best among promoters of happiness.
- Celibacy is the best among those leading to salvation.
- Ayurvedic ‘Rasayana therapy’ (Ayurvedic Rejuvenation therapy/ Anti aging therapy): A person having Ayurvedic ‘Rasayana therapy’ attains, longevity, memory, intelligence, become free from diseases, youth, excellence of luster, complexion, voice, vak-sidhdhi (what he syas becomes true) and excellent potentiality of the body and the sense organs. One should use such ‘Rasayana’ body tonics in routine lifestyle. e.g. Chyavanprash, Agatsya haritaki avleha, Bhahma rasaya, Medhya rasayana,Triphala, Brahmi, Shankhpushpi, yashtimadhu. Everyone can use these ‘Rasayana’ body tonics including kids and pregnant women.
- Ayurvedic ‘Vajikarana’ therapy (Ayurvedic Aphrodisiac therapy): A person having ‘Vajikarana’ treatment attains nourishing of tissue elements, by which even in old age one does not get seminal debility, brings longevity, beauty, strength, vigour and vitality, instantaneous sexual excitation and is exceedingly loved by women. (For more details…see ‘vigor and vitality’ category.
सर्वमन्यत् परित्यज्य शरीरंनुपालयेत् |
Means, avoiding all the things one has to protect his body first by using appropriate preventive measures.